As a public service I offer this unguarded crystallization of policy, this clue to the mind of the old New Dealer, from one of his other books:
- - -
- A strong, centralized government.
- An executive arm growing at the expense of the legislative and judicial arms.
- The control of banking, credit and security exchanges by the government.
- The underwriting of employment by the government, either through armaments or public works.
- The underwriting of social security by the government – old-age pensions, mothers’ pensions, unemployment insurance, and the like.
- The underwriting of food, housing, and medical care, by the government.
- The use of deficit spending to finance these underwritings.
- The abandonment of gold in favor of managed currencies.
- The control of foreign trade by the government.
- The control of natural resources.
- The control of energy sources.
- The control of transportation.
- The control of agricultural production.
- The control of labor organizations.
- The enlistment of young men and women in youth corps devoted to health, discipline,community service and ideologies consistent with those of the authorities.
- Heavy taxation, with special emphasis on the estates and incomes of the rich.
- Control of industry without ownership.
- State control of communications and propaganda.
I leave the cleansing of America from the poison of such socialism as an exercise for the reader.
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Please note that it may take a while to turn the handle of the Crowndot moderation mill and spit out your comment.